Sons of Norway Hall
Also known as Fedrelant Lodge #23, the Sons of Norway Hall is a historical fraternal society building on Indian St near downtown Petersburg in Alaska. The Sons of Noway Hall is a two-story building with a wood frame structure -gambrel roof- around 105 feet (32 m) long and about 55 feet (17 m) wide.
Built by volunteers in 1912, this was the first Sons of Norway lodge ever made in Alaska. They built the Hall big enough to host events for the Petersburg community. Throughout the year, the Sons of Norway Hall featured all social, civic, public, and private events; this Hall was the perfect place.
Adjacent to the Hall, you can find The Bojer Wikman Fishermen’s memorial Park, a park created in 2000 in memory of those who got lost in the sea. The Valhalla, a Viking ship, resides with commemorative plaques, sitting spots, beautiful flower boxes, and a Bojer Wikman bronze statue. Bojer is a long-time fisherman who promoted the Park’s idea.
The Sons of Norway Hall was used as an armory during World War II, and in the 1960s, it served as a National Guard Headquarters. In 1979, the Sons of Norway Hall was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Sons of Norway Hall takes pride and pleasure in sharing and promoting Alaska’s Norwegian heritage. The Sons of Norway Hall has been Peterburg’s community heart for years, hosting several wedding receptions, potlucks, parties, lodge socials, dances, dinners, and coffee tours. Even high school basketball games used to be played in the Hall in the earlier days.