Wrangell Narrows is located in Southeast Alaska in the Alexander Archipelago; it is a deep narrow waterway that’s part of the Inside Passage used by the Alaska ferry system and fishing vessels. You can enjoy the Wrangell Narrow views by land along the Mitkof Highway and Hungry Point, but the best Wrangell scenic views are enjoyed by a tour boat or charter. Killer whales, humpback whales, and various marine mammals occasionally visit the Wrangell Narrows area. Bird-watching opportunities are also available on this site, including a waterfowl variety, shorebirds, and seabirds like Surf Scoter, White-winder Scoter, Pigeon Guillemot, Bonaparte’s Gull, California Gull, Glaucous-winged Gull, Red-necked Phalarope, Black-legged Kittiwake, Bufflehead, Marbled Murrelet, Harlequin Duck, Mew Gull, and Herring Gull.
Located along Petersburg, the Wrangell Narrow is 35 km long and is one of the six listed narrows in Southeast Alaska. There are over 60 lights and buoys to mark Wrangell because of its winding nature and possible navigation hazards. Wrangell Narrows was named “Proliv Vrangelya” (Wrangell Strait) by G. Lindenberg in 1938 after Admiral Baron Ferdinand Petrovich von Wrangell. Proliv Vrangelya remained in use, while Wrangell Narrows refers to the narrowest central portion. By 1919, the Department of Commerce nautical 8170 was changed to Wrangell Narrows.
Petersburg is at the Narrow’s north end. Mitkof Island creates the narrows to the southeast and east and the islands of Woewodski and Kuprenof to the west and north. Wrangell Narrows opens the Fredrick Sound to the north and the famous Summer Strait to the south.